Equally beautiful, the tour of buildings on the east side of town should not be missed. This tour has an alternate route, which extends it to 1.5 miles, approximately 1 hour. The extension begins at the Illinois School for the Visually Impaired and continues east along East State Street to Johnson Street. Crossing to the south side of East State Street we retrace our steps, examining the homes on this side of the street and joining the main tour at Mac Murray College Campus.
356 & 360 East State Streets
The histories of the houses on 356 and 360 E. State Street are so closely entwined they can be considered a unit. The brick structure presently standing at 356 E. State was built in the period of 1856-1862. The owner was Philemon B. Price, Jr. a local jeweler. Upon Mr. Price’s death in 1886, the home was sold to Edward Duncan for $5,500. Mr. Duncan built the house at 360 E. State Street sometime between 1887 and 1890. The Victorian, Queen Anne Design house has a hipped roof with louvre crossed gable and is covered with the original tin. The Duncan family has owned this property for more than 100 years.
Our Savior Church Rectory
462 East State Street
The Rectory of Our Savior Church was started in 1895 and completed and occupied by August 1896. This two-story, brick and stone house is of Queen Anne, or Victorian design. The style is basically stone Spindlework with a hipped-roof and louvre crossed gables. The one-story, wrap-around porch has stone banisters and spindles which protect two entrances. The two-story bay with balcony and semi-tower make up the east façade.
*To complete the main tour, cross East State Street and begin to travel west on the south side of the street. (To continue with the longer version, keep going east.)
447 E. College
In 1846 a group of Methodist clergymen, led by Peter Cartwright and Peter Akers, founded the Illinois Conference Female Academy. The Academy was opened in the fall of 1847 in the basement of the Methodist Church located just one block west of the present Centenary Church. The Academy was accredited and conferred the first four year bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees in 1909. It was known then as the Illinois Women’s College. In 1931, the name MacMurray College for Women was adopted to Honor Senator James E. MacMurray, a most generous benefactor of the College. The College became co-educational in 1955.
339 East State Street
The structure at 339 E. State Street was built by Captain John Henry between 1848 and 1853. After several owners and many changes, MacMurray College acquired the house in 1925 to use as a dormitory for senior women. In 1929 it was transformed into the College President’s home. The style of the house is basically Italianate with Greek Revival tones.
Centenary United Methodist Church
331 East State Street
Centenary United Methodist Church is the oldest congregation in Illinois, founded on October 17, 1821. The American Gothic brick building dates from 1866 when it was erected at a cost of $35,000. An ornate, wooded pulpit, the gift of the Reverend Peter Cartwright, is a particular treasure of the Church. A portion of the original structure was condemned and torn down and has since been rebuilt.
The Old Post Office
301 East State Street
The Old Post Office was completed in 1907. Typical of government buildings constructed during this period, materials included granite, sandstone, and brick. In 1932, at the cost of $100,000, an addition was made to the east and south of the building.
Future home of the Heritage Cultural Center. Museum will consist of items pertaining to Jacksonville and it's history, meeting rooms and will serve as a community resource center. Museum items are currently in storage.